Thursday, April 2, 2009

Observational Reflection!

Observational Reflection

While observing Mrs. Poai's math lesson I noticed things that I hadn't really been able to pinpoint before. Goes to show when you are looking for it you can find it. I was looking for the good and I found it. I know that isn't really what this reflection was for, but because of it I am going to remember to look for the good in my future lessons and the good in my students and I will find it. It is still important to find and fix the things that aren't the best and improve as much as possible.

Back to the lesson that was observed. The first thing that I was able to notice was that she stated the objective right at the beginning of the lesson. “Today we are going to learn how to write and count to in the teens.” Not only did she state the objective she stated it at least 4 times that I heard. If the students didn't know what the lesson was about it was because they were not doing their part in the lesson.

When the students were not acting like they should of, and were talking when Mrs. Poai was talking she would stop talking and wait for them. But she didn't just wait for them to be quite she told them why she was waiting for them to pay attention. She let them know that she had to wait for them to listen because this is important for them to learn. She talked about how they needed to learn this, so they could do their best in 2nd grade. She got them to see the bigger picture for a minute. They needed to learn this for 2nd grade. She showed them that she wanted them to do their best in 2nd grade and she was trying to help them they best she could, but they had to do their part to learn.

Her methods of teacher were also great she used a poem in this math lesson and also used the students in her object lesson. She picked students to come up to the front so the rest of the class could count them. She also noticed that one student wasn't paying attention so she had him come up and help her. She didn't call him out on not listening she just got him engaged.

One other thing that I noticed was that she motivated the students but letting them know that after they learned about “the teens” they were going to use the white boards and play a game. The students love to play with the white boards. At first being able to use the white boards was an extrinsic motivation, but when they were playing the math game the white boards were an intrinsic motivation.

I hope that my teaching is similar to Mrs. Poai's but I know I have a ways to go to get their. She seems to see everything. She sees the student that need a little push, she see the student that need to help her to stay engaged, she knows her students so well. She was able to adjust her lesson to better fit her students and that is what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment