Thursday, January 15, 2009

Learning Reflection

When I started this assignment to find something I didn't know how to do and learn how to do it, I decided I as going to learn how to make a paper crane. I have always wanted to learn how, but I have never really made time for it. This assignment made me make time.

I looked up sites on the Internet to help me learn. I started out just fine. Reading the instructions and then doing it. Even though the instructions were not very good and the pictures along with the instructions were not helpful. I wanted to learn how, so I kept going. I got more that half way there and got to frustrated to go on. Now I have a piece of paper nicely folded to look like a diamond with legs.

I then started to look for the easy way out. What is something easier that I could learn. Sometime that won't take me as much time. I realized I was taking the lazy way out, but I was frustrated and I no longer cared about paper cranes. (Okay I might be over reacting a little.)

Then I started thinking about my week. I realized how much I have learned how. I learned about RSS and how to use them. I got an account at Goodreads and made some book selves, added friends, and selected books. I figured out how to use Delicious, a site that helps you store different articles on the Internet. I learned how the real dance to Cotton-Eye Joe. I learned the the Texas-two step and can actually do it pretty well. I also enjoyed learning all of this things. After thinking about all of these things I learned how to do I realized something that they all had in common. I was with people when I was learning how to do them. People were there supporting me and helping me along. One other thing that they had in common was a person told me what to do. I didn't have to read it and look at pictures.

If I was sitting around a table with a group of friends and we were learning how to fold paper cranes I would have loved to do that. I would have actually learned how, and I would not have gotten so frustrated and stopped before the end.

I apparently am a people person. I need people around me and I want them there. If I want to learn something to the best of my ability I need someone teaching me all the way. Not just giving me a hand out and letting me try and figure it out on my own.


2 comments:

  1. Paper cranes would be a good FHE activity or could be a group date thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtlin don't give up on paper cranes! Frankly I want you to learn how to make them so you can teach me.

    ReplyDelete